Saturday, December 13, 2008

Searching for History

I went to Canton, China (now called Guangzhou) to see where the Lady Washington traded with the Chinese 200 years ago. The old trading point during the Opium War was on Shaimen Island, so that's where I started my search. I too arrived by boat, though mine was a 7 cent, 2 minute ride across the Pearl River. Immediately, I was confronted by signs from the old trading past - yes, reference to the Phoenicians! Excellent! I must be on the right path. It didn't take long to search the Island, and while there was no road sign or blinking neon stating "Hey, this is where they traded!" as one might hope, there was proof positive that the Pacific Northwest trade is still going strong in Canton.

Content with my discoveries, I settled down with some Pacific Northwest warmth, just like they did 200 years ago. So it's soy lattes not sea otter pelts, who's counting?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home