Saturday, April 28, 2007

Not Something You See Everyday

There was a car driving down the road as I passed on my bicycle. The roof was caved in and there was no windshield. Two young women were driving. Ahhh, now that's not something you see everyday, I though to myself while zipping by. Only, it is...everyday.

But you don't see rain like this everyday. The kind where you feel like you're back standing under the waterfall. The kind where the world floods in the first few minutes, and the drainages on the roads fill up and then things flood even more. The kind where the lightning explodes overhead and splits to fill both halves of the sky.

Or grass that turns the world green overnight.

Or the June bugs that have invaded everything. The students collect them by the jar full, and they crawl and scamper over each other in an attempt to be on top, then to burry themselves again, and the kids throw them in your face like a dinner plate and I become very glad, once again, that I'm a vegetarian.

Or the fact that the people here believe every warning they hear. Friday was predicted a week in advanced to be the hottest day of the year, warning folks not to venture outside at 11 am or you will surely contract skin cancer. Schools all through the country closed, and a quarter of our kids stayed home and the weather was actually quite cold. And in Tegus, the people, now not working, took to the streets and no traffic could get through.

But I do see the sun. Everyday. And everyday I see the world waking up from the dry season we never really had, and the birds eating the mangos in the trees, and me eating the mangos from the trees. And everyone else, too. And everyday I see a little more of this little corner of the world I'm currently calling home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home