Friday, August 04, 2006

Rain and Ruins

When I was in Macedonia a month or so ago, it rained. Hard, fast and quick. I was walking down a cobblestone street when I heard the thunder. Within 2 minutes the rain came as a downpour with only a few sprinkles to warn you. Luckily, when this first happened, I was next to a coffee house and I ducked in for an espresso. The unlucky thing was that it was one of those cafes that women never go in. Ever! But, knowing I wasn’t a local and couldn’t speak Macedonian or read Cyrillic, and that no one should be forced out in the rain, I was served and had only half finished the small shot by the time the rain stopped.

Well, now a month later I find myself in Copan Ruinas, Honduras with the same rain, only here you get a little more warning and women are allowed in all the cafes (just not the bars). You can hear the thunder slowly creeping closer, then the flashes come and you can count them nine seconds ahead of the thunder. Then five, then the rain comes, and like Macedonia you only get a few drops before the sky opens up and you had better be under cover. Like my first night in the country, it only lasted about 15 minutes. Then the thunder is again five seconds from the flash, then seven, then nine. The way is clear for walking again.

Only here you get a second shot at the rain, and after a brief break, and enough time to get to this internet café, the thunder and rain continues to roll through the valley and you can fear the rain pounding on all of the leaves which are bigger then my head. And there is a band still playing in the central park (under cover) preparing for tonight’s much talked about town fiesta, and cars, and chatter and more music. Music everywhere.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just thinking of you K. I hope all is well on your travels.

Love, Vanessa

12:44 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home